Employment Retaliation Law
Do I need an Oregion retaliation attorney?
Many violations of the law and dangers to public health and safety go unreported because employees who are aware of them are afraid of retaliation. Because an employee’s livelihood is dependent on their job, the fear of losing income is serious and often justified. Whenever the law provides a remedy for victims of retaliation it encourages employees to come forward with evidence that will make our world safer and more just.
Retaliation occurs when an employer punishes an employee for engaging in legally protected activity such as making a report or opposing unlawful employment practices. Retaliation can include any negative job action such as demotion, discipline, firing, salary reduction, or job shift or reassignment. Retaliation can also be more subtle. As long as the employer’s adverse action would deter a reasonable person in the situation from making a complaint, it constitutes illegal retaliation.
Meyer Employment Law represents clients in employment retaliation cases throughout the state of Oregon. Federal and Oregon laws protect employees from retaliation when employees complain—either internally or to an outside body like the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI), the Occupational Health and Safety Commission (OSHA), and other governmental organizations—about workplace discrimination, harassment, or safety concerns. A report does not have to be substantiated for the employee to be protected from retaliation. Usually, the worker must simply have a good faith belief when reporting a violation of law or unsafe working conditions.
If an employer has punished an employee because they are concerned about safety or health conditions where they work, that is retaliation and it is against the law. Under the Oregon Safe Employment Act, employers cannot punish employees for being concerned. If you have been subject to retaliation by your employer please contact our office to inquire about a free consultation. We would be happy to discuss your situation.
Retaliation Attorney, Portland Oregon
Our attorneys at Meyer Employment Law can assist you with employment retaliation claims in Oregon, including cases where an employer has terminated you, demoted you, or otherwise taken adverse action against you for the following:
- Reporting or opposing illegal discrimination in the workplace
- Reporting or opposing unlawful employment practices
- Reporting or opposing sexual harassment
- Invoking the workers’ compensation system
- Reporting a health or safety concern
- Reporting patient safety concerns
- Reporting or opposing wage and hour violations
- Reporting or opposing unfair trade practices
- Reporting or opposing violations of consumer protection laws
- Reporting evidence of illegal activity
- Invoking your rights under the Oregon Family Leave Act (OFLA) or the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Asking for reasonable accommodation for a disability
- Asking for religious accommodation
- Taking military leave
- Requesting bereavement leave
Have you experienced retaliation in the workplace? Do you have questions about retaliation? Allow an Oregon retaliation attorney to help. Contact us at Meyer Employment Law.